Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) 2024
Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) is conducted by the IITs under the guidance of the Joint Admission Board (JAB). The performance of a candidate in this examination will form the basis for admission to the Bachelor’s, Integrated Master’s and Dual Degree programs (entry at the 10+2 level) in all the IITs.
|Exam Name||Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced)|
|Also Known As||JEE Advanced|
|Exam Mode||Online (Computer based test)|
|Conducted by||IIT Madras|
UPDATE (Nov 23, 2023): JEE Advanced 2024 exam date has been announced, read JEE Adv 2024 Exam Date.
UPDATE (Sep 15, 2023): JEE Advanced Applications will be opening after JEE Main result, Subscribe to receive all updates on your mobile for free.
NEW: Check JEE Advanced 2023 Rank vs Marks here.
- Two papers each of 3 hours duration – Online (Fully computer-based test) mode.
- Both papers are compulsory.
- Each question paper will consist of three separate sections, viz., Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- The question papers will consist of objective type (multiple choice and numerical answer type) questions designed to test comprehension, reasoning and analytical ability of candidates.
- Negative marks will be awarded for incorrect answers to some of the questions.
- The question papers will be in English and Hindi languages. The candidates will have the option to choose (and also switch between) the preferred language anytime during the examination.
The JEE (Advanced) – 2024 wil be held on May 26, 2024 as per the following schedule:
- Paper 1: 09:00 to 12:00 IST
- Paper 2: 14:30 to 17:30 IST
Performance in JEE (Main) 2024
- A candidate must clear the JEE (Main) Cutoff to be eligible to take the JEE (Advanced) exam. Top 2,50,000 candidates (including all categories) in JEE Main Paper-1 will be eligible.
- Note: The total number of eligible candidates can be slightly greater than 2,50,000 in the presence of tied ranks/scores in any category.
Category-wise distribution of top 2,50,000 candidates:
|Category||Number of Top candidates|
A candidate should have been born on or after October 1, 1999. Age relaxation of 5 years is given to SC, ST and PwD candidates.
Number of attempts
A candidate can attempt JEE (Advanced) a maximum of two times in consecutive years. Therefore, candidates who appeared in JEE (Advanced) 2023 for the first time are also eligible.
Appearance in Class XII (or equivalent) examination
- A candidate should have appeared for the Class XII (or equivalent) examination for the first time in all the subjects in either 2023 or 2024 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
- The candidates whose Class XII (or equivalent) examination Board results for the academic year 2021-22 were declared after September 21, 2022 are eligible.
- Note: For admission to IITs, performance in Class XII (or equivalent) examination is also considered. You can check that criteria here.
Earlier admission at IITs
- A candidate should NOT have been admitted in an IIT (irrespective of whether or not he/she continued in the program) OR accepted the IIT seat by reporting online or at a reporting centre in the past.
- The candidates whose admission at IITs was cancelled after joining any IIT are also NOT eligible.
- Candidates who have been admitted to a preparatory course in any of the IITs for the first time in 2023 can appear in JEE (Advanced) 2024.
- The candidates who were allocated a seat in an IIT through JoSAA 2023 but (i) did not report online or at any reporting centre, OR (ii) withdrew before the last round of seat allotment, OR (iii) had their seat cancelled (for whatever reason) before the last round of seat allotment for IITs, are eligible.
Foreign nationals who have studied or are studying in India/abroad at 10+2 level or equivalent and wish to appear for JEE (Advanced) 2024 are NOT required to write the JEE (Main) 2024.
- The official mock test is made available to the candidates appearing for JEE Advanced.
- Candidates can take the Mock Test to understand the pattern of the examination and make themselves familiar with the interface.
- Mock test is for practice purpose only.
Past Question Papers
See previous year Question Papers and Answers here.
JEE (Advanced) 2024 Application Fee is yet to be announced. Application Fee for previous year is as follows:
|A) Indian Nationals|
|SC, ST, PwD Candidates||₹1450|
|All Other candidates||₹2900|
|B) OCI/PIO card holders|
|All Other candidates||₹2900|
|C) Foreign Nationals (including PIO/OCI)|
|Candidates residing in SAARC countries||USD 90|
|Candidates residing in Non-SAARC countries||USD 180|
- The registrations for JEE (Advanced) 2024 are expected to start in April 2024.
- Only the candidates who satisfy each and every eligibility criteria can register.
- The last date to register is yet to be announced.
- Step 1: Fill Registration Form at JEE (Adv) web portal.
- Step 2: Upload Scanned Certificates.
- Step 3: Pay Registration Fee.
- Class X certificate (if the date of birth is mentioned in it) OR Birth certificate.
- Class XII (or equivalent examination) certificate (for those who appeared for this examination in 2023 or whose board declared the Class XII (or equivalent examination) result after October 25, 2022).
- If the name is not same as in the Class X certificate, gazette notification showing the change of name.
- GEN-EWS certificate (FORM-GEN-EWS) issued on or after April 1, 2024 in consonance with the latest guidelines of the Government of India.
- If any GEN-EWS candidate fails to collect the GEN-EWS certificate (issued after April 1, 2024) before online registration, he/she may upload a declaration (Declaration) in Lieu of GEN-EWS Certificate to that effect.
- Caste (for SC) or tribe (for ST) certificate (FORM-SC/ST).
- Physical Disability certificate (FORM-PwD II/III/IV whichever is applicable) issued by the notified medical authority.
- Dyslexic candidate needs to submit FORM-DYSLEXIC 1 and 2 instead of FORM-PwD. The certificate must mention SEVERE to enable the candidate get the benefit of PwD category.
- Individual IITs may constitute a medical board at the time of admission to test the candidate’s level of disability.
- Certificate (FORM-DS) issued by respective record offices of Armed Forces Personnel.
- Candidates who successfully register for the JEE (Advanced) examination can download the admit card from JEE (Adv) portal as per the notified schedule.
- The admit card will contain the Name, Roll number, Photograph, Signature, Date of birth, Category, Address of the candidate, Address of the Test Centre allotted and Test schedule.
- Candidates should carefully examine the entries in the admit card and in case of any discrepancy, contact the Chairman, JEE (Advanced) 2024 of the respective zonal coordinating IIT.
- A printed copy of the downloaded admit card along with an original photo identity card should be produced at the time of examination.
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Port Blair||501|
|Delhi NCR||Delhi (East)||201|
|Delhi NCR||Delhi (North)||202|
|Delhi NCR||Delhi (South)||203|
|Delhi NCR||Delhi (West)||204|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Jammu||207|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Srinagar||208|
|Uttar Pradesh||Prayagraj (Allahabad)||411|
|West Bengal||Baharampur (Murshidabad)||520|
|West Bengal||Kalyani (Nadia)||523|
|West Bengal||Kolkata (North)||525|
|West Bengal||Kolkata (South)||526|
- Candidates have to compulsorily choose 8 cities/towns of their choice at the time of online registration.
- Efforts will be made to allot the city/town from among the candidate’s choice, but a different city/town may be allotted under exceptional circumstances.
- Request for change of city/town will not be entertained under any circumstances.
- The responses of the candidates who have appeared for both Paper 1 and Paper 2, recorded during the exam, will be available for them to view, download and print from the JEE (Advanced) candidate portal.
- Candidates can access the copy of candidate’s responses as per schedule.
- The provisional answer keys for both the papers will be displayed on the JEE (Advanced) website as per schedule.
- Provisional answer key is only tentative and is subject to change.
- The candidates who are not satisfied with the answer key may challenge it online during the stipulated time.
- The final answer key will be made available as per schedule.
- In the event that a question needs to be dropped, full marks for that question will be awarded to all the candidates.
|Rank List||Minimum % of Marks in each subject||Minimum % of Aggregate Marks|
|Common rank list (CRL)||10.00||35.00|
|GEN-EWS rank list||9.00||31.50|
|OBC-NCL rank list||9.00||31.50|
|SC rank list||5.00||17.50|
|ST rank list||5.00||17.50|
|Common-PwD rank list (CRL-PwD)||5.00||17.50|
|GEN-EWS-PwD rank list||5.00||17.50|
|OBC-NCL-PwD rank list||5.00||17.50|
|SC-PwD rank list||5.00||17.50|
|ST-PwD rank list||5.00||17.50|
|Preparatory course rank lists||2.50||8.75|
- Only the candidates who appear in both Paper 1 and Paper 2 will be considered for ranking.
- Rank list will be prepared based on the aggregate marks obtained by the candidate.
- A candidate who qualifies in more than one category will be considered in all the categories to which he/she belongs for the purpose of ranking.
- Only the candidates who score the minimum prescribed marks in each subject and in aggregate will be included in the rank list.
- Results will be available on JEE (Advanced) site after it’s notified.
- Category‐wise All India Ranks (AIR) of successful candidates will be available on JEE (Advanced) site after the results are declared.
- Individual rank cards will not be sent to the candidates.
Architecture Aptitude Test
Candidates desirous of joining the B.Arch. program at IITs will have to pass in the Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT).
- Only those candidates who have qualified in JEE (Advanced) 2024 are eligible to appear in AAT 2024.
- Candidates must register online at the JEE (Advanced) site for AAT during the notified period.
- The exam will consist of one paper of three hours duration.
- The question paper for AAT will be available in English language only.
- Syllabus of the test can be checked here.
- AAT will be conducted on the notified date at all the IITs.
- Candidates should bring their own drawing and colouring aids.
- No separate admit card will be issued for AAT and the original admit card of JEE (Advanced) should be produced at the AAT examination hall.
- The result of AAT will be declared as per schedule.
- Candidates securing marks above the cutoff will be declared pass in the test. There will be no separate cutoff for students of any category.
- There will be no separate rank list for AAT and allotment of seats will be solely based on the category‐wise All India Rank in JEE (Advanced) 2024.
Admission to IITs
For admission to IITs, a candidate must have passed the Class XII (or equivalent) Board examination.
For admission to IITs, a candidate should satisfy at least one of the following two criteria:-
- Must have secured at least 75% aggregate marks in the Class XII (or equivalent) Board examination. For SC, ST and PwD candidates, the aggregate marks should be at least 65%.
- Must be within the category-wise top 20 percentile of successful candidates in his/her respective Class XII (or equivalent) board examination.
IMPORTANT: You can read more about Performance Criteria in Class XII for admission to IITs here.
|Description||Date and Time|
|Results of JEE (Main)||TBA; Expected: April 2024|
|Start of Registration for JEE (Advanced)||April 21, 2024|
|End of Registration for JEE (Advanced)||April 30, 2024|
|Last date for fee payment of registered candidates||May 6, 2024|
|Admit card available for downloading||May 17, 2024|
|JEE (Advanced) Paper – 1||May 26, 2024 (09:00-12:00)|
|JEE (Advanced) Paper – 2||May 26, 2024 (14:30-17:30)|
|Availability of copy of candidate responses||May 31, 2024|
|Online display of provisional answer keys||June 2, 2024|
|Feedback and comments on answer keys from the candidates||June 2 – June 3, 2024|
|Release of Final Answer Keys||June 9, 2024|
|Declaration of JEE (Advanced) results||June 9, 2024|
|Online registration for Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT)||June 9 – June 10, 2024|
|Architecture Aptitude Test||June 12, 2024|
|Declaration of AAT results||June 15, 2024|
- Only pens, pencils, drinking water in transparent bottle, downloaded admit card and an original photo identity card are allowed to be taken inside the examination hall.
- Candidates arriving at the examination centre after commencement of the examination in each paper (09:00 IST for Paper 1 and 14:30 IST for Paper 2) will not be allowed to take the test.
Candidates can contact JEE (Adv) authorities through written communication, phone or email.
|JEE Contact Information|
|Address||JEE (Advanced) Office,|
Chennai – 600036, Tamil Nadu (India)